History of an island

Fehmarn’s chronical in short tab form

1022

Knud the Great, King of the Danes placed the island under the Bishopric of Odense on Funen.


1076

Church historian Adam of Bremen called the island "Fembre" a rich farming country and full of pirates who spare no passing travelers.

1202

Danish King Waldemar II creates a earthbook including his possessions and income. Final terms of Fehmarn 36 villages and a "Castro." This fortified settlement of the growing town of Burg at femern, serves to protect the city harbor silted up in the 16th century under the present church hill of Saint Nicholas.


1210

Castle Glambeck, with its city harbor is for protection of pirate attacks and foreign conquerors.

1220

Saint Petri church, Landkirchen

1230

Saint Nikolai church, Burg

1240

Saint Johannes church, Petersdorfer

1290

„Parochia" church, Bannesdorf

13xx

The island is firmly in the hands of the Church and is managed via the "Keerkspilen". The city Burg uses the "Lübeck city rights", the landscape, the "Fehmarn Land Law" There were also differences in town & country time - Latter is half an hour before

141x

Incited by the cruel "Fehmarn land law", the Danish crown, it's bailiff & judge, the island citizens changed their old seal with "Schauenburger nettle leaf" and call the Dukes of Holstein Adolf VIII as their "rightful Lord."

1420

Danish king "Erich the Pommer" destroyed on July 1, almost completely the island and nearly extinguish the population. According to the legend, survived one of each – Mackeprang, Witt and Rauert.


1424

The Schauenburger prince calls for the resettlement of the island with lower taxes. plenty Holstein’s, Dithmarschians and Saxons arrived.

1470

Saint Nikolai extending the church.

1492

Martin Behaims - earthapple & Christopher Kolumbus - Amerika

1508

Saint Nikolai building of the church tower.

1520

Establishment of a large half-timbered town hall on the market square at Burg.

1539

Olaus Magnus publish his map „Scandinavia“

1542

Danish King Christian III. invent the "Protestant church order" at the "northern-duchies" . Fehmarn no longer is part of Odense church at Funen.


1559

Map of Marcus Jordanus about duchies of Schleswig and Holstein - scale approximate 1:500,000

1570

Abraham Ortelius published at Mai 20th the „Theatrum Orbis Terrarum“, the first collection maps in a book.

1580

Count Johann passes a flag to Fehmarn with a golden crown on lavender blue ground by the Danish King Frederick II.

1617

Prince-Bishop Johann Friedrich from Eutin prohibits the mansion, "the residence and the country of the nobility "on our Insul Femern." On the island there are 493 free farms at this time and never slavery.

1648

John Mejer published "Geometric layout of the country FEMEREN" and sets a milestone in the precision of the representation.


1796

Otte's "chronological statistical description of the island of Fehmarn" released

1832

Dr. Georg Hansen published "Historically, statistical representation of the island of Fehmarn.

1863

Frederick VII King of Denmark, Duke of Schleswig and Holstein died on Nov. 15th

1864

Captain von Mellenthin conquered the island with just 160 soldiers in nine fishing boats in the German-Danish War.

1866

is Schleswig-Holstein annexed and later

1867

incorporated as a "province" in Prussia.

1899

The old town hall is being demolished in April after violent civil disputes and the


1901

the new City Hall is invented at November 22th. Build with the intense construction cost’s of 116 560 ReichsMark.

1903

Steam ferry "Fehmarn"

1905

Invention of a local railroad from Fehmarnsund to Orth,

190x

First plan’s for fixed sundlink

19xx

Title of a medicinal bath

1945

American troops occupied the island. Lord X Fehmarn defended against the claims of Stalin.

1963

Inauguration of the Fehmarn Sound bridge and "bird flight line" with Puttgarden station.

1972

Niederlechner re:release the chronicle of the island.

1979

The Island has been cut off due to a snow disaster of the supply.

19xx

first plan for a fixed Fehmarn Belt link.

1991

After the german reunion the trade route across Fehmarn lost awarness while Rostock was expanded.

2003

The island transform to City of Fehmarn

2010

admiting to build the fixed Belt crossing


Martin Behaim’s Erdapfel
Martin Behaim’s Erdapfel
Erik der Pommer
Erik der Pommer
Baltici Fembria von Johannes Meijer aus dem Jahr 1648
Baltici Fembria von Johannes Meijer aus dem Jahr 1648
Hafen Burgstaaken auf Fehmarn
Hafen Burgstaaken auf Fehmarn